Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Still In Vegas

Hey everybody!

It is Elder Oliver still reporting from Las Vegas! Which is great! I really am loving it here. Although I am still very excited for Mexico I feel my self growing into a better missionary everyday! Except for spanish...I don't speak much of that. haha. I practice when I can though so it isn't too bad. But anyway this week was a very good week with a lot of things happening. First I am going to start off with how I am doing my situation and stuff. So... The weather here in Las Vegas has been beautiful. Not too hot! but I have been told that will not last too much longer. But I am always like that is fine I am going to Mexico City which I have heard is very similar to california weather. But anyway I am in a car with my two companions so I am not really out in the heat much anyway. So ya! I am eating plenty and staying healthy and actually starting to lose some of the weight I gained in the MTC which is nice. I didn't feel very good about myself about that haah. But that is ok! That is pretty much what is going on with me. My companion Elder Tuione has been sick all week so I have been secretely trying to avoid him. shhh don't tell him.
So now on to the work! which is going great! There were some up and some downs this week. I want to start with Robert because he is the man! In the two and a half weeks that I have known him, he has had a complete change of heart. He is doing all the things that he needs to do to change his life and follow the example and commandments that Christ has given us. He has been kicking bad influences out of his life, stopping bad habits, and has begun the difficult journey of quitting smoking. I think that I mentioned in my last email that I was really worried about his smoking. I still am. But we went and bought him some patches which he started using Saturday. He has his baptism set for the 21st of April and he has to be done smoking by the fourteenth and off the patches too if he wants to hit that date. He was so discouraged cause he wants to quit so bad but he didn't have the money to buy the patches. So when we gave them to him he jumped out of his seat and gave us a hug! It really was a special moment for me because here is a man that I am witnessed change his life around by applying the Savior's Atonement in his life. He also gives the most sincere humble prayers and I almost cry every time he says a prayer. It really is special and it just gives me so much energy and excitement for the work! I hope he stays strong with the smoking so he will be able to make his date.
So we met with Reggie and he is a great investigator super solid and we set him for the 21st as well. But he has some serious legal problems and actually could be going to jail if he is found guilty this week. We are hoping for the best for him. And we hope he uses what we have taught him about the peace that comes when we pray and when we read the Book of Mormon. And a quick update on Erin....She is gone. We have gone over to apartment and all of her stuff is gone and she won't pick up her phone. So we have no idea what is going on with her right now. We hope that she tries to make contact with us again. Because we have talked about how the gospel can bless her and her three children so much during this obviously difficult time of their lives. If there is one thing I have learned on my mission it is I need to rely on the Lord when I am down and discouraged way more than when things are going good! He will help us more there than ever. It really is so wonderful to know that he is always there ready to pick us up and lighten our load. I thank Heavenly Father for that knowledge everyday.
So defintiely one of the Highlights of this week was when I went on exchanges with couple of Spanish speaking Missionaries. 1st reason is I got to speak spanish! 2nd. they are hilarious and I love meeting and working with different elders so I can learn form them and become better myself. 3rd. We were out biking (yes I got to bike this day and I was really sore...ha) Me and Elder Fischer were leaving an appointment and we turned around and saw Elder Parea (from Mexico) riding the opposite direction. We followed and he had noticed a man sitting in his garage and went to talk to him. We learned that he was sitting in his garage thinking about how he needs to find God in his life. And how he has little boy about to be born. He is so scared because he says he tries to do all the right things and he still isn't happy and still doesn't have that peace of mind. He broke down as he was telling his story to us. And as I was listening I was thinking that wow the Lord has prepared this man for us to be here right now and tell him about the restored gospel. He spoke English which was nice for me so I could understand everything that was happening. But I felt the Lord knew that man and loved him. I was so grateful that I had been on exchanges for that day and that Elder Parea followed the spirit and talked to him. It was really a special experience.
So...That is a lot! I hope I didn't bore all of you to death! But I want to say how much I love all of you and your support whether it be letters or packages or prayers or thoughts or anything. You really don't have any idea how much it means to me. I feel your support everyday. Thank you SO much! I love all of you! I hope you have a great day! I can't wait to tell you how this week goes a week from today! Love you all so much.
Con amor Elder Oliver

No comments:

Post a Comment