Wednesday, April 18, 2012

I'm going to MEXICO!!!!

Hey everybody!!
It's Elder Oliver once again reporting from th Las Vegas Nevada Mission with some exciting news! This week I was informed that I am leaving for Mexico on the 30th of April!! So that is just about two weeks from today! pretty exciting stuff! So I just wanted to let all of you know what is going on there. I am not sure when my actual flight is or anything like that. But Between now and the 30th I will be going to the consolate to recieve my visa. So ya fun stuff!
Today was another very interesting week...ha. Welcome to Vegas! So last week I talked a lot about my investigators Reggie and Robert. They are definitely the most interesting ones! So I am going to talk about them and give you an update. So we are going to start with Reggie. He is not in Jail!!! haha. So that is some exciting stuff! He really is so awesome! He is struggling with financial and living and legal troubles as I have explained. But he is a great guy. You can tell that he doesn't like the decisions he has made in the past and that he wants to change. I can tell that he just wants to find peace. He has all these things that are going on in his life and he just wants an escape. He wants something he can turn to. So that he can feel better when he is overwhelmed. Well we got what he is looking for DON"T WE!!!! haha. The gospel brings peace and direction in our lives. It makes us focus on the things that are really important. Family, Friends, Relationships in general, especially our relationship with our Heavenly Father. We are so grateful that we have the scriptures to read from and the oppurtunity to talk with our Father in Heaven. We are trying to help him find that out for himself. That he can escape the world and his problems when he reads and prays, and he really isn't escaping his problems when he does that. We know that he will be blessed, and those problems will be easier to overcome and deal with. We are really excited for Reggie we know that if he keeps our commitments he is going to gain a testimony. We love reggie and hopefully he will really progress this upcoming week.
So...now we are going to talk about Robert....This has been a rough week. So I know how last week I talked about how well he is doing and everything is going well and he is praying and reading and trying to overcome smoking. Well I wrote that e-mail in the afternoon monday and monday night he dropped us. We had a lesson with him and we could tell that he was really discouraged and that he thought that he couldn't do it. He wouldn't hold his head up. We read from the BOM with him and we had a really good lesson I thought. We put sticky notes all over his apartment saying we loved him and Pray and Read And Baptism and stuff like that to try and help him from smoking! So we felt much better after leaving his apartment. We were in the car for no joke 30 seconds when we recieved a call from Robert. He said that he said he was going to stay Catholic with his parents and that he didn't want to meet with us anymore. So...That was it. We drove home in silence. It was not a good night. So a couple days later we recieved a call from Robert. He said that the devil has really been working hard on him. and that he wanted to meet with us again and talk. So we went over to his house. We talked to him and he said that he is not ready to quit smoking but that he knows that our church is true. He still wants to get baptized. We told him that that was great! we gave him a new date for the 15th of May and we were going to continue working with him. We told him that we would see him at church on sunday. So sunday comes around and we get a call at 6 in the morning from Robert saying he wasn't coming because he didn't sleep well. So that was kind of interesting. Then after church he called us again and said that he was going to stay catholic again. So...ya. I feel bad that Robert is struggling and is confused. He has really bad influences in his life. He lives with a couple of guys who aren't good and give him a hard time about the church. and his parents are the same way because they are catholic. So...I don't know what is going on with Robert if he is going to change his mind again or what. But I pray for him every day that his mind will be clear and that he can overcome smoking and be baptized and find that peace. But anyway that is the update on Reggie and Robert!
So I am just loving it here in Las Vegas, obviously the Robert thing isn't a terribly happy moment, but at the same time it is. I love Robert. I wish the best for him. I was worried about coming to the field from the MTC because they always tell you to love the people. And I wanted to and hoped and wished that I would! But I didn't know if I would be able to. But I have learned here in my short time in Las vegas that I am capable of loving the people that I am going teaching. And my perspective has changed. I don't just see people anymore. I see my brothers and sisters and I really want them to have what I have because I love them. I am grateful for the things I am learning in Las vegas and I am super excited to go to Mexico and start having experiences there!
Well I want to thank all of you for everthing you have done for me! and everything you are doing!! It really means a lot! I feel your support everyday!!! Thank you so much! So I am excited to talk to you all next week! LOVE YOU ALL! I hope you have a great week!
Con Amor Elder Oliver

No comments:

Post a Comment